Saturday 15 September 2012

BOOK REVIEW: Rock n Roll Camp for Girls



Rock n Roll Camp for Girls - Foreword by Carrie Brownstein.
Reviewer: Sophie

When my friend from California sent me this book, I was thrilled. I'd heard about the Rock n Roll Camp for Girls in Portland, US and even though I was on the wrong side of the Atlantic (as well as the wrong side of twenty five), I totally wanted to go there! Founded in 2001, the camp is for girls aged between eight and eighteen and gives them an opportunity to learn all about being in a rock and roll band - from song-writing to putting on an all-ages rock show. Reading this book made me realise just how important the Rock n Roll Camp for Girls is. Beth Ditto writes about her singing voice in 'How to sound like a vacuum cleaner'; plus there are articles on self defence, punk rock aerobics and a guide on creating a press kit.

Why is it necessary to have a rock camp just for girls? I don't know about you, but those 'Women in Rock' magazine issues always make me roll my eyes. Why are the girls always segregated? Last weekend, thousands of young people headed to the Reading festival to listen to live music, as well as to get drunk and dance in the mud. Of the twenty seven bands playing the main stage this year, only TWO of these bands featured female musicians. I did the maths - approximately 111 male musicians played, and 2 female musicians played on the main stage at the festival. 

I wish I'd read this book when I was younger – all that time talking about how much I wanted to be in a band, I could have just done it! This book has advice on how to meet fellow rockers, even if you live in a tiny village in Wales and you're the only person there who loves Bis and Kenickie. The self defence article by Jodi Darby is essential reading.

The Rock n Roll Camp for Girls gives young women the opportunity and the confidence to be creative and make something amazing – and this book carries that same, kick-ass, DIY ethic.

Sophie can be contacted by e-mail

No comments:

Post a Comment